Cat cafes & co-people

Sunday was just the lovely, relaxing day of rest I needed, & after the shenanigans of Saturday, it was much appreciated.

*Quick side note before I hurtle into the happenings of Sunday. I am looking for a daily devotional that is uplifting, medium-to-short & not fundy, if any of you readers have suggestions, feel free to comment below. I haven't yet found an english-speaking church close to me & would like the daily faith reminder*

Now, back to my day! I was invited to join the three other female foreign teachers (Caroline, Emma, & Danella) for their Sunday funday. On their agenda was a cat cafe, copious amounts of shopping in Hondae (pronounces hone-day) & 'cakes' which are apparently very popular in the UK. They take their cakes or dessert cafes very seriously there (& to some extent in SK as well, as it is a popular outing for couples).

We met in the lobby of our apartment at 12:45 & were in the heart of Hondae by 1:30. We immediately started looking for lunch prospects, & as Emma is a vegetarian, found a place that was to all of our likings by about 2:00. A little place called Du Pain that had some great burgers (veg ones as well). This is thus-far my favorite meal of Korea, or at least in my top three, even though I don't usually like burgers. The owner of the shop, & only worker, made all of our sandwiches to order & was a gracious host...& it was awesome to get some 'american' style food not at a chain-eatery.
I got a mushroom burger :P

We then went in search of our first destination; a cat cafe called Table A which is exactly as it sounds, a cafe where there are cats. We ordered drinks & sat in one of the little partitioned areas & waited for a cat. And waited. And waited. Then we discovered that apparently you have to go to the cats as they are rather lazy critters. So once one of the seating areas that had a cat emptied out we swooped in, & met this little guy...
Also, my co-person- Caroline -in the picture with the prime spot nearest the kitty :)

We also met a few other felines (the cafe had seven total)
Same as above
A 'cat in a box' as the sign on his little home stated. His little sweater was rather ratty, but he seemed content enough.
An adorable ear-ed one who was having nothing to do with us but I managed to snap a photo of.
And a hovering cat who watched, but wasn't interested in companionship either.

After about an hour of cat-pets & small talk we moved on to the main event of the day: shopping in Hondae! Wow was it cool! Not only could you find almost anything, but the prices were nice & the atmosphere was awesome! Street performers singing, playing instruments or dance crews 'battling' it out speckled every block & the crowds & shops were how I pictured Seoul to be. Very 'hip' area that Taylor & I will be visiting together this next weekend.
A crew dancing in the street that drew quite a crowd. I am excited to stop & watch them sometime too, though this particular Sunday I stuck with the group for the most part & didn't stay to see the kpop-inspired routines :(
 One of the busy streets!
 And another, smaller street, as well as another lovely co-person, Emma.
K-fashion! Though this is just one example of it, as it is as varied as US style...though maybe even more eclectic?
And finally! The last event of the day...DESSERT!! I told you that the UK & SK seem to take their desserts seriously, & here is my proof for the latter at least. I ordered an Oreo parfait & cafe mocha and didn't finish either, but boy did I enjoy my attempt! :)

More to come!
All of my love,

Tea

**Update: the ladies are going out again this Sunday to a different shopping location- in a subway station? -& then when I get home Tay & I are going to Hondae to see the performers & maybe go back to Du Pain for dinner**

Comments

Popular Posts